Monday, August 20, 2007

Answering A Critic

On August 16, 2007, the following comment regarding my post on the Awaken Humanity Music Festival was sent to my Gmail account by someone called "NameCritic." Given the nature of this particular comment, I felt it deserved a full post response.

The email from NameCritic:

You know you are a drama queen right? I'm a member of Mosaic Miami and we also have concerts that include artists that are not "christian artists."

Traditional churches preach to believers. Mosaic delivers God's message to nonbelievers as well. Kind of like Jesus did. Instead of MySpace, research the bible.

As far as "extra proceeds" is concerned. Have you ever put on a charity event? I have. Hundreds of them.

There are COSTS involved in holding any event. Once the costs are covered the "extra proceeds" then go to the charitable purpose intended.

Really, you need to get a life. Or better yet, attend some Mosaic events. Nonbelievers are welcome to attend.

NameCritic

My Response:


"NameCritic", (Chris McElroy right?)

In Gmail, your name shows up as a link which provided me with your blogger ID ending in the numbers 4657.

Your blog is: "Belong, Believe, Become," http://mosaicmiami.blogspot.com/,
a blog about Mosaic Miami. Judging by the level of sophistication displayed in this blog I find it a little hard to believe that you are just "a member" of Mosaic Miami.

Drama Queen

When I was a member of the Church on Brady/Mosaic, L.A. I was also a member of the drama team. I never got to play the role of a queen but I did get to play Pharoah's daughter so I quess one could say I've been a "drama princess."

Christian vs. Non-christian bands

As to your comment regarding holding concerts with non-christian artists in the line up: I have no problem with secular concerts, I've gone to hear groups play based on the simple fact that I enjoyed the music. I also have no problem with christian and non-christian bands playing together in the same lineup.

In the case of the Awaken Humanity Music Festival, the event was advertised as a "christian concert" by at least one promotor and it was well known that Mosaic CHURCH was the sponsor. Given these facts, I find it more than a little disturbing that a band calling itself "Devil Dust" was in the line up, especially after I viewed the website for this band. The fact that most of the bands in the line up were not christian wasn't made clear to the public. This is the point I wanted to emphasize in my previous post. I wonder if some of the people who attended the concert would have done so had they known the exact nature of the bands who would be playing.

Traditional churches

I do agree with your comment that "traditional churches preach to believers." What I disagree with is your implication that this is all they do. In the many "traditional" churches I have visited during my lifetime, I've heard preaching to believers and I've witnessed the EVANGELIZING of non-believers.

The Great Commission was given to all of Christ's followers, not just to a select few such as Mosaic, and even if there are some churches who fail to obey this command it is not only unfair but completely illogical to imply that all "traditional churches", (a rather vague generality) have failed to do so.

Researching the Bible

You wrote: Mosaic delivers God's message to nonbelievers as well. Kind of like Jesus did. Instead of MySpace, research the bible.

NameCritic, since you suggested that I "research the Bible", perhaps you could give me your comments on the following passsages of scripture: (Taken from the NASB)

Matt 15:27-28

Jesus went away from there, and withdrew into the district of Tyre and Sidon. And a Caananite woman from that region came out and began to cry out, saying, "have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed." But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came out and implored him saying, "Send her away, because she keeps shouting at us." But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But she came and began to bow down before Him, saying, "Lord, help me!" And He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." But she said, "Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." Then Jesus said to her, "O woman, your faith is great; it shall be done for you as you wish." And her daughter was healed at once.



Mark 7:28-30

Jesus got up and went away from there to the region of Tyre. And when He had entered a house, He wanted no one to know of it; yet He could not escape notice. But after hearing of Him, a woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit immediately came and fell at His feet. Now the woman was a Gentile of the Syrophoenician race. And she kept asking Him to cast the demon out of her daughter. And He was saying to her, "Let the children be satisfied first, for it is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." But she answered and said to Him, "Yes Lord, but even the dogs under the table feed on the children's crumbs." And He said to her, "Because of this answer go; the demon has gone out of your daughter." And going back to her home, she found the child lying on the bed, the demon having left.


It is my understanding that although Jesus did on occasion minister to the "non-believers" (Gentiles of non-Jewish descent) His main mission was to the "lost sheep of the house of Israel." This doesn't mean he didn't care about Gentiles! If the gospel was ONLY meant for the Jews then Jesus would have never even bothered to help people like this Syrophoenician woman.


The Great Commission Matthew 10:5-6, 28:19

Before the Cross

Matt. 10: 5-6

These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them; "Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

After the Resurrection

Matt. 20:19-20

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."


NameCritic,

The gospel is indeed for "all the nations," yet Jesus did not personally seek out "non-believers" during his earthly ministry. This task was assigned to His church. Perhaps you are the one who should study the Bible more.

Getting back to the Awaken Humanity Music Festival:

I don't disagree with you that there are substantial costs involved in hosting any type of charity event. The problem I see with this particular event is the conflicting language used to describe its purpose and the actual amount of the proceeds that would be used for charitable purposes as opposed to the "administrative" costs of holding the event.

If you have indeed put on hundreds of charity events, then surely you are aware of how crucial it is (not to mention, "required by law") to be clear about what percentage of the proceeds will actually be used for charitable purposes and what percentage will be used to cover the "costs of holding" the event. In this case we have conflicting statements from the same source, Eric Bryant, about "all proceeds" and "extra proceeds."

Well, what is it?

Is it ALL proceeds? (Meaning that the administrative costs of the event such as rental fees for the facilities, wages to workers, appearance fees for the bands, advertising expenses, etc., were either covered by the host agency or that all of these items were donated free of charge to the festival organizers so that the total amount of money donated by concert goers will be given to the charitable causes mentioned in the festival promotional materials.)

Or . . .

Is it the EXTRA proceeds? (Meaning that after the above administrative costs have been deducted from the total amount collected from concert goers, whatever money is left over will be donated to the charity causes.)

What about this promotional blurb from Tooth and Nail Records?

http://www.toothandnail.com/news.php?id=94
Project 86 Aligns with Awaken Humanity for Awaken Humanity Festival May 13

Project 86 is proud and honored to be a part of the Awaken Humanity Festival, coming to the Mayan in Los Angles on May 13. This festival is a humanitarian benefit for several worthwhile causes, with all proceeds going directly to the hands of those in need. The festival has a suggested donation of $10 at the door. Read on for more info!

Did Tooth and Nail Records "get it wrong" when they wrote this? If so, why didn't Awaken Humanity or Mosaic correct the error before the concert? Why has there been no clarification after the concert?

More importantly, why has there been no update on the Awaken Humanity Music Festival itself? Exactly how much money did the concert raise and out of that specific amount, how much actually made it "to the hands of those in need?" NameCritic, all I am doing is pointing out the confusion surrounding this event.

You wrote:

Really, you need to get a life. Or better yet, attend some Mosaic events. Nonbelievers are welcome to attend.

NameCritic:

If this is the way you invite "non-believers" to Mosaic Miami, then I feel truly sorry for you and for them.

Fortunately for me, I don't need such an invitation, I've already answered the one offered to me by my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He has given me a new life in Him.


Yvonne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the public is getting it. Thanks to people like you Yvonne.

Anonymous said...

"Traditional churches preach to believers. Mosaic delivers God's message to nonbelievers as well. Kind of like Jesus did."

This has to be my favorite statement. As if Mosaic created evangelism! LOL

Can anyone say, "arrogant"?

em