Thursday, September 13, 2007

Broken People, Broken Pieces or a Broken Pastor?







Erwin McManus’ Self-Censorship








Question:

Why did Erwin McManus alter a document copyrighted in 2000?

My first post here at Solid Foods, “A Revisionist History of the Church on Brady?” raised questions about the public statements Erwin Raphael McManus has made regarding the history of the church he inherited. This post will address a specific incident in which McManus appears to have altered a published document, presumably in reaction to the accusations of a former leader at Mosaic.

* In respect for the family’s privacy, I will not identify the former leader’s ex- wife by name in this article but will simply refer to her by her first initial. Unfortunately, I have no control over what has already been published on the internet by others.

Background

In February 2007, Robbie Sortino, a former youth pastor and pastor at Mosaic, under the leadership of Erwin McManus, published a blog in which he raised serious questions about his former leader.

In the blog,

http://truthdiscovery.blogspot.com/

Robbie Sortino alleges that there have been many people that Erwin McManus has rejected, manipulated and abandoned. In addition, he states that Erwin McManus has created a community with an ethos of emotional and spiritual abuse.





My Search



In an attempt to find any independent evidence that might verify Robbie Sortino's claims I conducted an internet search on March 5, 2007.



That search revealed the following article,



“Broken People Can Become Whole Disciples.” Erwin McManus, Christianity Today International/Leadership Journal, Spring 2000, Vol. XXI, No. 2, Page 48 [The publisher identifies this article as a “Bible study.”]




Direct Link:




http://www.christianitytoday.com/biblestudies/areas/biblestudies/articles/040916.html

Google cached link:




http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:OKsLNoNfxHwJ:www.christianitytoday.com/biblestudies/areas/biblestudies/articles/040916.html+broken+people+can+become+whole+disciples&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
[NOTE: I have included the cached link because at the time when I first wrote this post the original suddenly became “unavailable. " I have a copy of the article on file here at Solid Foods.]

In the article, McManus uses the example of “Sarah” as an illustration:

Excerpt:








The challenge for today's church is how to make whole disciples out of broken people. Some people’s brokenness is obvious. Abuse or abandonment has left scars. With others, beautiful exteriors have been carefully crafted to hide what no one really wants to see anyway. Sometimes only their eyes betray them. Or the unsteadiness in the voice, or the almost unnoticeable trembling of the hands.





That was Sarah's case. Who would guess this young wife with two children had just had a lesbian affair? Sarah's infidelity masked a deeper internal fragmentation. How could her husband Michael have known that his emotional inaccessibility would lead to this kind of alienation? Though he loved Sarah deeply, his own background made the prospect of intimacy something he feared almost more than abandonment. Their marriage was fragile, their future uncertain.





Can you make disciples of such people? The road was difficult, but now, 10 years later, Michael and Sarah have a strong marriage and a ministry to others. The ingredient critical to this story is the role of the local church.





At the end of the article McManus writes:











Like Michael and Sarah, Robbie and M*(see above) remind me of God's power to make us whole. Gifted and talented, they could serve as poster children for human potential. Yet, especially for Robbie, a pain-filled childhood and rebellious adolescence left him emotionally broken. Coming on staff prematurely, he had to work out much of his struggles while in the heat of vocational ministry.





I was the brand new senior pastor and he was the home-grown youth pastor. Our first year was tense. Here was a young man who had at one time flipped his car out of control on the highway in an attempt to end his life. Every Christmas he would struggle with depression. From his youth Robbie's heart had been filled with violence and anger. The product of divorce, he hardened his heart to survive, and now he needed that heart tender to serve others effectively. He saw anyone who worked for "the institution" as the enemy, and that included me.





At times I wondered if the past would haunt him forever. It took a lot of prayer and patience to earn his trust and respect, but over time, in community, we saw him shift from building his future through power and intellect to humility and gratitude.
We probably fought every week for two years, and I can't tell you how many times I wanted to dismiss him just for irritating me. Yet today he is one of my greatest friends and there are few people I trust as much.I don't know anyone who works so hard to serve others. No matter how many times he makes a mistake, he is always there seeking forgiveness and making things right. He and M are the kind of models I hope my children emulate. Now, six years later, Robbie is the lead pastor for one of our most promising church plants. There are many like Robbie and M at Mosaic. Our leadership is made up of broken people who have become whole disciples.





Follow Up Internet Search

An internet search I conducted on March 19, 2007 revealed that the original bible study which appeared on Christianity Today International/Leadership Journal website was “no longer available.” Keep in mind, the article was printed in the hard copy issues of this publication, removing or "altering" its content electronically, on-line, does not erase the existence of the original article.

SPECIAL NOTE: Erwin McManus is a contributing editor to Leadership Journal This is the same branch of Christianity Today which published Erwin McManus' article, "Broken People Can Become Whole Disciples."

An article with the title, “Broken Pieces” has appeared at: http://erwinmcmanus.com/broken-pieces, The Official Erwin McManus website. The text of this article is almost identical to the previously published article.

What is similar:








The most significant challenge for today’s church is how to make whole disciples out of broken people. From my vantage point as pastor of an urban church, abuse, pain, and abandonment are the recurring themes of our contemporary society. Some people’s brokenness is obvious. With others, beautiful exteriors have been carefully crafted to hide what no one really wants to see anyway. Sometimes only their eyes betray them. Except when the conversation begins. Then it’s the unsteadiness in their voice, or the almost unnoticeable trembling of their hands.





That was Sarah’s case. Who would ever guess this young wife with two children just had a lesbian affair? How could her husband Michael have known that his emotional inaccessibility and distance would result in this kind of alienation? Though he loved Sarah deeply, his own brokenness made the prospect of intimacy something he feared almost more than abandonment. For Sarah her infidelity unveiled a deeper fragmentation of her personal identity. Their marriage was at best fragile–their future uncertain.




How can you make disciples of such people?The road to healing and recovery was difficult, but now, ten years later, Michael and Sarah have a strong marriage and a far-reaching ministry. The ingredient critical to this story is the role of the local church in the process of life change.




What has changed:




In the section of the article ironically subtitled “Integrity Comes Through Humility” the paragraphs concerning Robbie Sortino and M have now been omitted. In addition to these omissions, large sections of the original text have also been revised


The Real Sarah and Michael


When contacted about the identities of Sarah and Michael; Pastor Robert Martinez (A former pastor and elder at Mosaic, Los Angeles) stated that, “he could not recall any such persons,” and that he was struck by the detailed similarities between their story and that of the Sortino’s. He believes the story McManus tells about Sarah and Michael is in reality the true story of Robbie Sortino and his ex-wife M.

When Robbie Sortino was asked if he or his ex-wife had ever granted Erwin McManus permission to print their story in his writings, Robbie Sortino’s answer was, “ABSOLUTELY NOT!”





FACT:

Mr. McManus altered a document that has been available to the public for 7 years just one month after Robbie Sortino’s allegations appeared on the internet.




QUESTIONS:




Was this done to avoid a possible lawsuit?

Why would any pastor choose to publicize the details of such intimate, painful, real life crises experienced by a member of his own staff as an example in an article?


Why would a pastor do so without the permission of those involved?


Is this how Erwin McManus treats those whom he describes as "one of my greatest friends;" one of the " few people I trust as much?"



Maybe a partial answer to these questions can be found at the end of “Broken People Can Become Whole Disciples.”

In McManus’ own words:







Brokenness can be the result of many things—abuse, neglect, abandonment, trauma, or sin. We could be either victim or victimizer. Most often we have a dual role.




Hurt people hurt people.






Yvonne W.


(My editorial comments in this post were reviewed and approved by Robbie Sortino.)

IMPORTANT UPDATE

The revised article, “Broken Pieces” has disappeared from: http://erwinmcmanus.com/broken-pieces, The Official Erwin McManus website.

I located another source for the original, unedited, version of "Broken People Can Become Whole Disciples." It was reprinted in Catalyst 2005:

http://209.168.235.4/Newsletters/catalyst/Full/default.aspx?article_id=4


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I experienced two similar situations with Erwin McManus. He divulged two very confidential matters that were told to him in Pastor/Parishioner confidentiality. And, in doing so he misled the individuals he told this information to. They were concerned why Linda and I had left Mosaic and Erwin used these two VERY personal (one involving one of our children) situations in an attempt to explain our departure. Fortunately, that person phoned me immediately and we realized the attempt at deception. It was painful, to say the least, to have a Pastor do this to you, but I now see that we were just one of many.

Eddie Marshall

The Ryan said...

I think you should forgive Erwin. The focus is not Erwin, but Jesus Christ. Erwin is not perfect, and I am sure that you can find more areas where he has messed up. It does not shake my faith as a follower of Christ or as a soon to be member of Mosaic.

It sounds like you have some kind of unresolved animosity towards Erwin. There are alot of preachers that I think are apostate, but you have a special focus on Erwin. This shows that you have some personal interest in this.

As a follower of Christ, you should forgive. Every man (includes pastors) will fail you. The only person who will not is Jesus. With that, we should forgive all men when they do wrong. Please do this, as I think it will healthy for your spiritual journey. I am not arguing for Erwin, I am just hoping that you find peace, and that is in Jesus Christ. God bless you.

-Ryan

Yvonne W. said...

Ryan,


This post, "Broken People, Broken Pieces or a Broken Pastor?" is not about me, but is about what happened to Robbie Sortino, a former leader at Mosaic L.A.

I must say that I find Erwin McManus' behavior in this matter to be inexcusable and rather inexplicable. As their spiritual leader, advisor and counselor, Erwin McManus established a position of trust with the Sortino family. He violated that trust by publishing details of their personal life; details that were revealed to McManus during private counseling sessions.

I am not related to Mr. Sortino nor to anyone in his family.

In regards to what happened to the Sortinos your comment, "I think you should forgive Erwin," is directed at the wrong person.

As to my personal interest in Erwin McManus, please read my post, "My Father", http://solidfoods.blogspot.com/2007/05/my-father.html

I have forgiven Erwin McManus but I am still waiting for an official explanation from him or Mosaic regarding my father's unfair treatment.

Ryan, forgiveness is a process that involves the person who was hurt, the person who caused the hurt and God.

Erwin McManus has yet to acknowledge the fact that he has hurt anyone, even in light of such objective evidence as the article he wrote about the Sortinos. How could this possibly be good for Erwin's "spiritual life?"

Please consider this from the recent "Lead Like Jesus" conference featuring Kenneth Blanchard and Erwin McManus:

LEAD LIKE JESUS http://www.leadlikejesus.com/clientimages/36749/pdfs/program_guide_200711.pdf

Kenneth Blanchard and Erwin McManus

Twelve Steps of EGOs Anonymous

1. I admit I have allowed my pride and fears to negatively impact my role as a Jesus-like leader.

2. I believe that God can transform my leadership motives, thoughts, and actions to be like those modeled by Jesus.

3. I have decided to surrender my leadership efforts to God and to follow the leadership model of Jesus.

4. I will make an inventory of my leadership motives, thoughts, and actions that are inconsistent with Servant Leadership.

5. I admit to God, to myself and to at least one other person the nature of my leadership gaps.

6. I am ready to have God remove all character defects that have created gaps in my leadership.

7. I ask God to remove my shortcomings and to strengthen me against the pride and fear temptations of my EGO.

8. I will list individuals whom I may have harmed by my EGO-driven leadership.

9. I will make direct amends to people I may have harmed by my EGO-driven leadership, unless doing so would injure them or others.

10. I will continue to take personal inventory regarding my leadership role; and when I am wrong I will promptly admit it and apologize.

11. By practicing the disciplines of solitude, prayer, and the study of Scriptures, I will seek to practice Servant Leadership as modeled by Jesus.

12. I will carry the message of Leading Like Jesus to other leaders and will practice the Lead Like Jesus principles in all of my relationships.

It seems clear to me that if Erwin McManus wants to place himself in the public eye by participating in such high profile positions as co-host of the "Lead Like Jesus Conference" then he should be willing and prepared to live up to the publicized standards of such a conference.

Yvonne W.

The Ryan said...

Yvonne,

I first just want to say I am sorry for the pain and suffering you have endured. I didn't mean to say that you had a personal bias. I cannot judge your heart, or anybody else's. So sorry for that comment.

I am just saying that this website is not aimed at anybody really but Mosaic and Erwin. (Maybe it is, but a lot of it seems like Erwin bashing.)

You said, "Ryan, forgiveness is a process that involves the person who was hurt, the person who caused the hurt and God."

I disagree with you. You forgiveness is not dependent on Erwin. People are going to hurt you in this life. That is one thing I can say for certain. You have to put the focus on Christ and realize everybody has flaws. Part of the character that God is working on with me is realizing people's shortcomings and not expecting perfection when it comes to people. Somewhere along the road we expected perfection from people in the church. We have to realize they are people also. I am not just telling you to get over it, but there should be a process of healing and I hope it is happening . . . regardless of the third party. God is always enough.

I do not know the details of Erwin and what he did, but if he does anything to me, I will have to forgive. I hope that if I am ever hurt by a leader or just another brother or sister, that God puts it on my heart to forgive, as hard as it is.

Yvonne, I hope nothing but the best for you and I pray that you enjoy this journey. I pray that God heals you of any hurt and pain so that you can enjoy the one true amazing thing in your life. Jesus Christ. Erwin really has nothing to do with that. Do not let any man (or woman) ruin what you have with God. That is personal and can never be taken away. God bless you.

-Ryan

Yvonne W. said...

Ryan,

You appear to be missing the point of this blog.

I believe my father's employment was wrongfully terminated by Erwin McManus based on the FACTS that:

1. My father never received a negative job review in the 25+ years he served at Mosaic.

2. My father was subjected to a deliberate campaign of harassment which eventually led him to resign from his position as elder. My father stated this in his letter of resignation to Mosaic.

Erwin doesn't need to apologize to me, he needs to apologize to:

1. My father, for the circumstances surrounding his termination.

2. Eddie and Linda Marshall, for the rumors spread about them that contained information which could only have come from the private counseling sessions between them and Erwin McManus.

3. The Sortino Family, for the embarrassment and humiliation they suffered as a result of the article published by Erwin McManus in which he once again revealed personal information learned during private counseling sessions.

4. To the "Believing the Impossible" donors who gave sacrificially towards the purchase of a new building only to have those designated funds redirected towards another purpose without their notification nor permission as required by law.


Ryan, my personal walk with Christ is fine and my conscience is clear.

What you are doing though is an attempt to distract attention away from the blatant abuses of power carried out by Erwin McManus and "crucify the messenger", me.

Ryan, you're right when you say this blog is about Erwin McManus and Mosaic. I don't see how that could be any more obvious.

The point of this blog is to WARN my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ about these abuses of power and to point out the rather shady business dealings of Erwin McManus and Mosaic.

Please limit your comments to discussing and/or disputing the facts presented in this blog.

Yvonne W.

Anonymous said...

Yvonne, I am sad for you. You seemed so focused on atacking Mosaic and it's head pastor. It is obvious to me that your posts are well thought out and deeply reasearched. I feel as if all the energy you are spending could be of much better use for buidling the kingdom and giving glory to God, as opposed to spending time bashing a fellow believer.
Yes, Mr. McManus is a broken pastor. I'm sure all of the members of the Mosaic church are broken as well. I visited Mosaic this morning and heard Erwin admit this very thing: that he screws up. That sometimes he gets it wrong. We all do. But Jesus teaches us to treat others with compassion, and not with condemnation. I wish you had heard the message this morning, Yvonne. It seems that Erwin McManus needs Jesus, that I need Jesus, and that you do too.
I am praying for you -- praying that you will find peace, and that you will find a way to use your incredible blogging skills to lead people towards Jesus -- the only man who got it all right.

Yvonne W. said...

Vii,

I am all for "giving glory to God" which is why I feel compelled to expose the the odd financial discrepancies and business practices surrounding Erwin McManus, "Awaken", and Mosaic.

There is no need to feel sorry for me, I am not the one facing the real possibility of being audited by the IRS and/or prosecuted by the California State Attorney General.

I urge you to pray for Erwin McManus and the staff of Mosaic and "Awaken."

Yvonne W.

Anonymous said...

"I am praying for you -- praying that you will find peace, and that you will find a way to use your incredible blogging skills to lead people towards Jesus -- the only man who got it all right."

Why aren't you holding your leader accountable "Vii?" You obviously aren't bothered by Mr. McManus' gossiping ways, his financial improprieties, his sending good leaders out of the church with nary an explanation to his flock that he loves so dear. Okay, none of this bothers you. But dont condemn people trying to do something about it. The goldy men of old did the same thing. Paul, Peter, and Jesus himself warned the flock about wolves in sheep's clothing. And Jesus warns that even the elect will be deceived. You should be concerned instead of condemning.

Anonymous said...

You seem to have ignored my comment and I am waiting for a response. It was submitted last night!

Yvonne W. said...

Truth,

I do not spend all my time on-line and I do not argue with people who only want to pick a fight.


Yvonne W.

Yvonne W. said...

Testing comment function.

Yvonne W.

Yvonne W. said...

Truth,

I did publish your comment and a reply but Blogger is experiencing technical difficulties. I will attempt to republish your comment as sent to my gmail account:


truth has left a new comment on your post "Shining Daylight on Erwin McManus' Awaken 4":

When Robbie Sortino was asked if he or his ex-wife had ever granted Erwin McManus permission to print their story in his writings, Robbie Sortino’s answer was, “ABSOLUTELY NOT!”


Yvonne,

You accuse Erwin of the same (or similar) thing you are doing here. Did you get permission from Robert's x wife to even use her initial? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I did my research too! Atleast Erwin never mentioned real names. How hard is it to figure out who *M (Sortino) is? Hypocrite!


Yvonne W.

Yvonne W. said...

Truth, this was my reply:

Yvonne W. has left a new comment on your post "Shining Daylight on Erwin McManus' Awaken 4":

Truth,

Erwin McManus DID use the real name of Mr. Sortino's ex-wife. That information became public due to Erwin McManus' choice to publish it in a nationally distributed magazine. Legally, I do not need anyone's permission to comment on a work already out in print.

I asked for Mr. Sortino's permission to publish this blog entry as a COURTESY to his family since I did not want to cause them any more distress than they have already endured. Had Mr. Sortino objected, I would have withheld this entry.

"How hard is it to figure out who *M (Sortino) is? "

Not hard at all, that was the whole point. If I had wanted to "mask" that point I would not have included the link back to the original article.

I omitted the rest of her name out of respect for her privacy and the privacy of her family.


Yvonne W.


Please note that your original comment was posted to the wrong blog entry.

Yvonne W. said...

To the poster commenting under the name "Truth":

As I stated before, I do not engage in meaningless arguments; therefore I have decided not to publish your latest comment.

In this last comment you indicated that you obtained a copy of the original article from Mr. Sortino himself. If this is true, then I suggest that you go back to Mr. Sortino with your concerns.


Yvonne W.

Yvonne W. said...

To the poster using the name "Truth" or "Anonymous" (last comment received today, Jan 06, 2008 at 9:46 a.m.):

As I have already stated, I will not post any more comments from you.

I forwarded your comments to Mr. Sortino and received his permission to reprint his response:

Yvonne -

Did the person provide their name?

If you remember when we were first corresponding about
the article I did not care too much about the fact
that Erwin used the story of my life without
permission. However, I do recognize that that was not
appropriate and it should have been addressed.

However, what had bothered me was that he removed and
changed his article AFTER I began to speak out against
Mosaic, I thought that was deceptive.

Anyways, until the person reveals their name...I could
say that I spoke to the president of the United
States...does it make what I am saying true? What
would be helpful is if the person provided their name
and provided the necessary details to confirm whether
this is true or not, but I don't remember giving this
article to anyone, but I could have? HOWEVER, that
still does NOT change the facts that:

1) Erwin did NOT
ask for permission to tell my story, and

2) He hid and
changed the article AFTER I spoke out against the
abuse that occurs at Mosaic...

Robbie

P.S. Thank you for your faithfulness and hardwork. My
prayer is that at some point people who are
responsible for the abuse (past and present) and in
the position to bring healing would acknowledge their
sin, repent, resign, and find healing...



I believe this response by Mr. Sortino answers all your questions.

Please do not bother me again.

Yvonne W.